Monday, July 02, 2012

THE MEMPHIS READS QUESTION: July 2012

by Andrea


Nancy Pearl, well-known author, book critic, and NPR host, states “when we open a book, read the first few pages, and choose to go on, we enter the world of that book” through one of four doorways: character, language, setting, or story. (Source)

Memphis Reads asks:
When YOU read a book, which of the four doorways appeals to you the most? Do well-developed characters appeal to you?  The eloquent language? Do you visualize a descriptive setting? Or lastly, do you dive into an intriguing story line?

Click the Comments link below to answer.

Labels:


Comments:
My first and favorite doorway into a book is language. Any writer who can create art through prose is a winner in my book. My second favorite doorway is character. I like characters with unique personalities and flaws, not one-dimensional stereotypes. When I finish a book I want to feel like I've met a new acquaintance.
 
Obviously, it really depends on what I am in the mood to read. But, going on what I usually read, I enjoy relating with good, solid characters or else I love following an intriguing plot.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?