Thursday, September 27, 2012

[Book Reviews] HOW DOLLY PARTON SAVED MY LIFE by Charlotte Connors

Fiction/Inspirational

Andrea reviews HOW DOLLY PARTON SAVED MY LIFE by Charlotte Connors (Broadway, 2008)

Okay, honestly I am not one to read a lot of Christian or Inspirational fiction, but this title caught my eye while I was shelving because I am a big fan of Dolly Parton. (I mean, how can you not love the woman who founded Imagination Library simply because she was born and raised in the poor town of Sevierville, Tennessee?)

As I was saying, though, I usually don’t read this genre because, personally, I don’t want to “preached at.” This book wasn’t like that; instead, it was a lighthearted and fun read about four women who own and run the small Atlanta-based business, Jelly Jar Catering.
       
Parts were a little cheesy, and a lot of the “women can have it all” rants were tiresome. But overall, business owners Jo and Ellie, and their employees, Cate and Daisy, seemed to be fun people who led realistic lives with all the issues that come along with it. In fact, I almost felt I could have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with them. I do wish that the author had included some of the recipes the women prepared. (After all, it is a book about a catering company, right?)
       
If readers just want a fun, lighthearted title, 
How Dolly Parton Saved my Life would be a good choice but I do not recommend it if they want something academic and substantial.


Andrea King, Poplar-White Station Library

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?