Saturday, October 01, 2011

Celebrate the Freedom to Read: THESEUS AND THE MINOTAUR

Nancy Campbell celebrates
THESEUS AND THE MINOTAUR, a story from Greek and Roman mythology

When my family lived in Colorado Springs from 1989-92, residents of a mountain town one pass over tried to ban all Greek and Roman mythology books from school libraries. (They disagreed with polytheism.) Almost-daily references to the characters in these stories have enriched my life.

Listening to my then 6-year-old read Theseus and the Minotaur was especially gratifying. His coming down the stairs on Halloween night dressed in nothing but a towel tied around his waist made me laugh out loud. "I'm going as Theseus!" he exclaimed.

Nancy Campbell, Central Library

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?