Monday, May 16, 2011

[News and Notes] Booker T. Washington High Commencement

Congratulations to Booker T. Washington High School, Class of 2011! B.T.W. won first place in the 2011 Race to the Top Commencement Challenge. As reward, President Barack Obama spoke at their graduation ceremony this morning.

Learn more about the school's namesake, Booker T. Washington, from his autobiography:


Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington


Graduates of all ages and others who were inspired by President Obama's appearance in Memphis might enjoy his first children's book:



Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters


In his speech, President Obama talked about the challenges of growing up with a single mother. A biography about his mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, was released this year.





A Singular Woman: the Untold Story of Barack Obama's Mother by Janny Scott

What books do you recommend as required reading for all graduates?

Comments:
When I was in my last semester of college, I was dating a law student. He gave me a copy of OH, THE PLACES YOU WILL GO! by Dr. Seuss when I graduated. He and I broke up shortly after I finished college, but I still have the book and read it from time to time for good, solid advice.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?