Wednesday, September 08, 2010

[Book Review] OUT STEALING HORSES by Per Petterson

Fiction/Literary

Kay Due reviews OUT STEALING HORSES by Per Petterson (Picador, 2005)

I don’t read many best sellers. I don’t know why – don’t want to follow the crowd – too ornery?? But after noticing a book on the New York Times best seller list for…..months……one does have to reconsider. That’s what happened with this book – Out Stealing Horses – and I’m truly sorry I waited for so long!

I think I really identify with the 67-year-old Norwegian who wants to slow down and get away from it all. Trond Sander retires after the death of his wife and begins to live a life of solitary self-sufficiency. There is a lyrical quality to his days – the passing of day into night, the change of seasons, and the physical labor necessary to get by without electricity. But his solitude is interrupted by a neighbor who brings back memories of his childhood – memories of both happiness and loss. This novel is a keeper. Read it!

Kay Due, Public Services

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?