Tuesday, July 20, 2010

[Book Review] THIS TIME TOGETHER: LAUGHTER AND REFLECTION by Carol Burnett

Non-fiction/Memoir

Andrea King reviews THIS TIME TOGETHER: LAUGHTER AND REFLECTION by Carol Burnett (Harmony Books, 2010)

Being sick with pneumonia for the last week of June and the first week of July, I read and slept a lot. I really didn’t have the energy to do much more than that. Not being in the best of moods, I needed a light read to improve my humor. This book by Carol Burnett was definitely a mood- lifter. In fact, I would say this has to be the best book I have read all year!

First of all, I have always loved Carol Burnett. I am sure I am not the only one. I grew up watching The Carol Burnett Show in the 1970-1980’s. Her zany sense of humor, as well as her hilarious cast of characters, always kept my family rolling on the floor. And those costumes Bob Mackie made for her! Who doesn’t remember her famous “Scarlett O’Hara” (“I saw it in a window and had to have it.”) outfit? I think I always enjoyed her show because it was clean humor.

Her book is just as hilarious as her television shows. The book's title is from the song she sings at the end of The Carol Burnett Show. It draws readers in as friends to whom she is telling stories. Some of these stories are downright hilarious but others are such tearjerkers. Regardless, readers feel that Ms. Burnett is a close friend who shares intimate parts of her extraordinary life.

I found this memoir to be so wonderful that I was able to finish it in two nights! But, honestly, if I had been feeling better, I probably could have read it cover to cover in one sitting!

If readers want to hear some of the best, funniest stories told from an amazing comedienne, this memoir from Carol Burnett is a sure thing!

Andrea King, Poplar-White Station

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?