Monday, February 19, 2007

[Blog] BOOK WORLD

You may have noticed that from time to time Memphis Reads posts links to other blogs. Our goal is to connect readers to books. Just as you might identify a newpaper columnist or a librarian with similar tastes in books and then turn to him or her for recommendations, we hope to help you find bloggers on whom you can rely.

This weekend I devoured THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Setterfield (Atria Books, 2006). It's the story of a renowned British author who, after years of concocting elaborate stories about her past, commissions an authorized biography. It's part ghost story, part gothic novel, part mystery.

I enjoyed it and couldn't wait to log onto to the internet to see what some of my favorite bloggers thought. In particular, I wanted the opinion from Book World. I was disappointed but intrigued that she did not care for the novel one bit.

Through Book World, I can vicariously share the reading obsessions of its blogger. She reads dozens if not hundreds of books a year, mostly British novels, and seems to be drawn to the works from or about the eighteenth century. Since my reading time is precious, I may never read most of the titles considered, but I do love learning about the latest biography of Samuel Johnson and the wonders contained in Virginia Woolf's diaries. Having recently undergone major surgery, the blogger shares how convalescence and pain medication have altered her reading. In general, she advocates careful, attentive reading.

Doris Dixon, Raleigh Library

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?